beta-hexosaminidase as a biomarker for alcoholism

Sally Garrison garrisons at grace.cri.nz
Thu Jul 21 15:31:49 EST 1994

Is anyone working with the enzyme beta-hexosaminidase?  I am currently
evaluating it as a possible biochemical marker for heavy alcohol use.   I am
measuring both the A and B isoform activities, by distinguishing these
activities by heat treatment (2 hours at 50C).   I am using a
spectrophotometric method to determine the enzyme activity.  Does anyone know
if the heat treatment should be done in acid or neutral conditions?

Leena Stowell
Wellington
New Zealand