Good MW Markers for Silver Staining

John E. Fox altabios at
Mon Jul 25 07:41:35 EST 1994

In article <edbeaty-240794192301 at>, edbeaty at (ed beaty) says:
>Our lab is purifying a number of proteins for N-terminal sequencing and
>other applications.  We usually silver-stain our gels to make sure there
>are no contaminating proteins which could interfere with our sequencing.
>The problem is that our MW standards (from Sigma) are designed for
>Coomassie Blue staining, and give many strong "mystery bands" when we
>silver stain them.  I assume this is because the proteins used to make the
>standards aren't too pure to begin with.  We've tried diluting the
>standards more to make the mystery bands fainter, but some of these bands
>are nearly as strong as the expected bands.
>Does anyone know of a cleaner set of MW standards that are commercially
>available and give (reasonably) clean bands on a silver stained gel (i.e.
>good enough to send to a reviewer without having to say, "okay, ignore
>these twelve bands; that's BSA, that's lysozyme...or is it THAT band...")
>Thanks fer yer help.
>Ed Beaty
>edbeaty at

Do you get a sequence after silver staining? Some time ago we tried to sequence
something that had been gold stained and found the stain completely prevented
sequencing. I then assumed that silver stains would give a similar effect but have
never tried the experiment.
Any info. would be appreciated.