assembly of proteins in membranes

J. David Spafford jspaffor at
Wed Jul 27 11:59:03 EST 1994

I am ignorant when it comes to understanding how proteins with
transmembranal segments become incorporated into the plasma membrane.  After
it is assembled from the ER-golgi to the membrane, when does a
transmembranal protein assume secondary structure (alpha helices and beta
sheets)?  And when and how are turns (helix-turn-helix motif, for example)
made?  The question is a bit naive, I know.  I would appreciate some
recommended reading.

Thanks in advance,
J. David Spafford
Department of Biological Sciences, University of Alberta
jspaffor at