determining oligomeric structure of a protein

Jesus M. Sanz sanz at mrc-lmb.cam.ac.uk
Sat Mar 5 07:02:07 EST 1994

In article <2l675s$mna at charm.magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu>,
rsaldanh at magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu (Roland J Saldanha) wrote:

> I am working on the mitochondrial tyrosyl synthetase that functions as both a
> synthetase and as a facilitator of group I intron splicing.  In characterizing
> the protein we find that it elutes from gel filtration columns with an apparent
> molecular weight of a tetramer (monomer MW=72,000).  However the protein
> crosslinks as a dimer with dimethyl suberimidate and glutaraldehyde.  This
> would suggest a highly elongated structure that has an aberrant mobility
> (reflecting the elongated size) in gel filtration.
> I would welcome suggestions for other methods for demonstrating the oligomeric
> structure of the protein.  I am aware that sedimentation analysis is the best
> method of approaching this problem but do not have access to an analytical
> ultracentrifuge and would welcome collaborative offers from anyone who has a
> machine.
> We would also like to try native page but the protein is very basic (computer
> calculated pI of 10.3).  I would thus welcome suggestions for native gels of
> basic proteins and suitable standards for basic proteins.

    You could also try another crosslinking reagent with a different
specificity. For instance, water-soluble
carbodiimides are good for crosslinking between carboxylates, and may be
useful
where dimethyl suberimidate and glutaraldehyde cannot work. You can find
a nice review about bifunctional reagents in Methods Enzymology (91), 580
(1983).

Cheers
--
Dr. Jesus M. Sanz                            Tf. (0223) 402146
Centre for Protein Engineering.              Fax.(0223) 402140
Hills Road,                      e-mail:sanz at mrc-lmb.cam.ac.uk
Cambridge CB2 2QH, U.K.
            "Life is hard and happiness is ephemeral"