Hyposine

POSTMASTER at NBRF.GEORGETOWN.EDU POSTMASTER at NBRF.GEORGETOWN.EDU
Mon Mar 28 12:19:57 EST 1994

In message <199403281623.IAA17537 at net.bio.net> Garrett Kolodin
(garrett_kolodin at merck.com) asks:
> Has anyone ever heard of the amino acid hyposine. If you have do you know
> of any references for it, and/or information concering it.
> I think that hyposine is a post translational modification of lysine in some
> proteins. This is about all I know. Any help would be appreciated.

I believe you mean hypusine.  The following information is extracted from
the PIR Residues Database (presently under development).
AA0031
N6-(4-amino-2-hydroxybutyl)-L-lysine

Alternate names: hypusine

Systematic name: (2S,2'xi)-2-amino-6-(4-amino-2-hydroxybutylamino)hexanoic acid

CAS:

Formula: C 10 H 21 N 3 O 2

Formula weight: 215.30

Sequence code: K

Park, M.H.; Wolff, E.C., Folk, J.E.
    Trends Biochem. Sci. 18, 475-479, 1993
    Title: Is hypusine essential for eukaryotic cell proliferation?
    Reference number: A44558

Usage
    Modified site: N6-(4-amino-2-hydroxybutyl)lysine (Lys)
Note that the formula and formula weight are for the "residue", that is
for the free amino acid minus H20.  The CAS Registry Number, if there were
one, would be for the free amino acid.  The "Usage" records indicate how
the residue is annotated in the PIR-International Protein Sequence Databases
                                 Dr. John S. Garavelli
                                 Database Coordinator
                                 Protein Information Resource
                                 National Biomedical Research Foundation