Sequence alignment programs

John Watson ajwatson at
Fri May 13 15:30:52 EST 1994

In article <MichaelJ.McLeish.5.000F4411 at>,
MichaelJ.McLeish at (Michael J. McLeish) wrote:
> Dear Netters
> I am interested in obtaining a program (or programs), preferably public
> domain, for the alignment of DNA and amino acid sequences.  I would
> appreciate any advice on the choice of programs available.
> Thanks in advance.
> Mike
> Michael J. McLeish Ph.D.
> Victorian College of Pharmacy
> E-mail:  Michael_m at

There's also MACAW, obtainable by anonymous FTP from NCBI (Iforget the
exact path).  I haven'y played around with it yet so can't offer a personal
review.  From what little I've seen though it looks pretty good.  Runs on
Mac's and PC's.

John Watson
ajwatson at