AatII Restriction Enzyme

Song Tan tan at aeolus.vmsmail.ethz.ch
Wed Nov 2 12:01:28 EST 1994

In article <gddavis-011194124319 at ppp200.modems.uoknor.edu>,
gddavis at essex.ecn.uoknor.edu (Greg Davis) wrote:

> Can anyone tell me how the activity (cutting efficiency) of AatII compares
> to very active enzymes such as EcoRI?

This is just one data point, and it's not even my own work.  Thomas
Rechsteiner, a postdoc in our lab, had to use AatII a while ago and he had
lots of problems getting proper cutting with AatII (from Biolabs).  He
tried cutting pUC and pBR based plasmids and found that he could nick the
DNA on one strand, but he couldn't get complete double stranded cuts
unless he digested for a LONG time.  Since then, I've mentally pegged
AatII as one of those enzymes to stay away from where possible, but I'd
love to hear others' experiences.

--
Song Tan
Institute for Molecular Biology and Biophysics
email:  tan at aeolus.vmsmail.ethz.ch