protein footprinting

larry goldstein lgoldstein at UCSD.EDU
Fri Nov 4 17:06:47 EST 1994

their are also methods based on chemical protection, i.e., one assays
modification of cysteines or methionines by NCS (reportedly oxidizes
solvent exposed residues faster than buried residues) in the presence of
some binding protein.  modification is assessed by cleavage with NTCB or
CnBr.  the catch for all of these methods is whether one is looking at
residues buried in a binding interface or residues in a region of protein
that changes conformation upon binding.  anybody manage to distinguish
these two possibilities without a crystal structure?
larry goldstein
ucsd