Identification of Protein Domains

Bruce Duncan bsd at scripps.edu
Tue Nov 8 01:12:10 EST 1994

(Sorry for the repost, our mailer is sick...)

Greetings,

Does anyone know of a computer program that can automatically identify
the domains in a protein given the x-ray structure??
A rough definition of domain is a stretch of sequence
that is "locally-compact" in 3-D space.  I have not seen a formal definition.
Domain boundary residues are usually (always??) in random coils.
Note that a single chain (subunit) can have several domains.
Also, real Brookhaven pdb files don't include complete chain id
information and sometimes have gaps in regions of low density.
I'd like code that would work from C-alpha coordinates.
Any suggestions???

Thanks,
-bsd-

---