Site Directed Mutagenesis - Current Limitations

Greg Davis gddavis at essex.ecn.uoknor.edu
Tue Nov 8 11:23:20 EST 1994

I am interested in finding information on the current limitations in site
directed mutagenesis.  Specifically:

1.  What are largest synthetic oligonucleotides that can be synthesized
    for use as primers without significant sequence errors occurring
    during their synthesis?  (~60 bases is what I've previously heard.)

2.  What is the largest sequence that has been inserted into plasmid dsDNA
    in site directed mutagensis using synthetic oligonucleotide primers?
    (the latest info I have says 18 bases)

Does anyone know of any published/non-published results in excess of these?

* Greg Davis                    *  "You would be intersted to note that by
* Graduate student              *   enforcing musical rule #753, you have
just
* University of Oklahoma        *   gotten rid of infinity of musical horse

* Biotechnology Research        *   trot, and have thus moved to a musical
* gddavis at essex.ecn.uoknor.edu  *   state of lower entropy" - Gary Jacobs