[Q] secondary structure from coordinates

Cornelius Krasel krasel at alf.biochem.mpg.de
Mon Nov 28 08:29:21 EST 1994

Andrew Dalke (dalke at uxa.cso.uiuc.edu) wrote:
> In <3bb3kj$nv1 at umd5.umd.edu> ram at elan1.carb.nist.gov replied:
> >                                                             It's
> >the Define Secondary Structure of Proteins (DSSP) program by Sander
> >and Kabsch available in Pascal. [...]
> >   You should also be able to get it from the EMBL-Heidelberg
> >server (ftp.embl-heidelberg.de).

>   It is there only in reference and is not in the list of available
> software (which is why I didn't see it earlier).  That software is
> licensed and requires that I send paper mail (oh no! :) to the author
> to get the code.  Instead, I'll look up
> >Kabsch and Sander: Biopolymers, Vol. 22, 2577-2637 (1983)

A DSSP-like algorithm has been implemented in Rasmol. Maybe you can
get some ideas from it. Source code for Rasmol is freely available.

--Cornelius.

--
/* Cornelius Krasel, Abt. Lohse, Genzentrum, D-82152 Martinsried, Germany  */
/* email: krasel at alf.biochem.mpg.de                 fax: +49 89 8578 3795  */