cis/trans Proline

moreaut at univ-tours.fr moreaut at univ-tours.fr
Mon Nov 28 12:55:07 EST 1994

dear netters,

I have a peptide substrate, the sequence of which is
Ala-Gly-Pro-Arg-Ser-Leu
This peptide and a second one 4 residues longer at the N-ter side have
been synthezised in order to study the specificity of a serine proteinase.
The longest peptide is rapidly cleaved at the Arg/Ser bond as expected
but the efficiency of cleavage (i.e the kcat/Km ratio) is reduced for
the short peptide. My questions are:

1/ which conformation of the Pro residue can we expect for such a short
peptide i.e cis, trans or do both forms equilibrate?
I know that cis forms of Pro sometimes occur in proteins but I do not
know what happens for short peptides.

2/ if we have 80% of cis form in the short peptide, should we still have
80% of cis form in the long peptide?

3/ is it possible that one form (i.e cis or trans) could be a better
substrate than the other one for the protease?

Thanks in advance for your help and for any comments

|  Dr. Thierry MOREAU                                              |
|  Laboratoire d'Enzymologie et Chimie des Proteines               |
|  URA CNRS 1334	           Phone: (33) 46 36 62 06         |
|  2bis, Bd Tonnelle                 Fax:   (33) 47 36 60 46       |
|  37032 TOURS cedex 	           Email: moreaut at univ-tours.fr    |
|      FRANCE                                                      |