S-DABITC

Flip Hoedemaeker, CvF RUL/TNO, Leiden, The Netherlands sbtnfh at rulsfb.LeidenUniv.nl
Sun Sep 18 08:01:15 EST 1994

In article <1994Sep17.120430.25992 at oxvaxd>, quarrell at vax.oxford.ac.uk writes:
>In article <35c0e9$lt2 at mother.usf.edu>, acannons at com1.med.usf.edu (Andrew Cannons) writes:
>> Does anyone know where I can purchase S-DABITC?
>
>With the Cambridge Bioscience (UK) catalogue in front of me, I presume you are
>referring to dimethylaminophenylazophenyl-4'-isothiocyanate, which they sell
>for 38.50 pounds sterling per  38.50 pounds sterling per 100 mg.

I don't know where the "S-" stands for, but DABITC
(4-dimethylaminoazobenzene-4'isothiocyanate) is used as an orange colored dye
in manual protein sequencing (Edman degradation). It binds to terminal NH2's
(including the secondary Lys NH2) in proteins. I don't know if it's fluorescent
Sigma sells this for HFL 43,50 per 100 mg in The Netherlands, so its about
twice as cheap as the Cambridge Bioscience equivalent, and it works fine!

Flip