drying PAGE gels

Ann Eastman eastmana at UNIXG.UBC.CA
Mon Sep 26 14:39:24 EST 1994

To Eric and to Carol from Montana State U.:
I have had a lot of success drying PAGE gels and IEF slab gels by placing
the gels between two pieces of cellulose acetate.  The basic procedure is
to wet a sheet of the cellulose (available from BioRad), flatten it onto
a glass plate that has a little glycerol on it, lay the gel on top, place
the second sheet down, roll out any air bubbles, and secure the whole
thing with a plexiglass frame and clips or use spacers and clips to make
a frame.  Then let it air dry for a couple of days, depending on the gel
thickness, percentage acrylamide etc.  After you take the thing apart, trim off
the excess and place it under a piece of paper with a weight on top to
dry and flatten completely.  This produces (usually!) a very permanent,
flexible product that can be easily kept in a notebook.  The only
problems that I have encountered are (1) you can't use this to dry gels
 containing sucrose, and (2) gels (especially low percentage) that have
become enlarged (i.e. methanol content of last solution was too low) will
shatter if not reduced in size by treatment with methanol.
Ann
Dept Botany, UBC, Vancouver, BC