Heparin and rabbit ear bleeds?

Paul A Bucciaglia bucc0003 at gold.tc.umn.edu
Sat Apr 1 20:56:06 EST 1995

When using vacu-tainers to bleed rabbit ear arteries, we use
heparin to increase blood flow and avoid clotting in the syringe.  The
collected blood does not form a clot; the cellular debris is
centrifuged out and serum is diluted and generally used for western
blotting.  Overall, we haven't had much success generating antibodies.
Our boss has raised antibodies in the past, collecting serum thru cardiac
puncture, allowing the blood to clot and then removing the clot.  He has
suggested that clotting is important for getting clean antibodies.  Can
anyone shed some light on this debate?  Is clotting necessary? Does it
remove whole blood fractions that might interfere with western blotting?

Thanks,
paul bucciaglia