tris-glycine vs tricine

Alan Kaiser alkaiser at er6.rutgers.edu
Mon Jan 9 18:55:27 EST 1995

In <3es5r2$mm3 at neuro.usc.edu> william at neuro.usc.edu (Fiberman) writes:

>Hello, netters,

>Does anyone know what are the advantages/disadvantages of tris-glycine
>vs. tricine gels for electrophoresis of proteins?

>-fm

Tricine gels are used to resolve low MW proteins and peptides.
According to something I read from Bio-Rad, the glycine front runs at
a position that could interfer with the running of low MW peptides. I
think that it formed micells or something like that. With the tricine
you don't get this problem.

For a good protocol look up the low MW standards from Sigma. These
standards are designed to be used with tricine gels and the protocol
comes with them (or you could get it separetly from tech service). I
use this protocol to resolve a peptide with a MW of 2500 and it works
just fine.

Alan Kaiser			alkaiser at eden.rutgers.edu
Graduate Program in Microbiology and Molecular Genetics
Rutgers University               New Brunswick,NJ