Question: protein concentration in a cell

Erik Forbes Y. Hom ehom1 at cc.swarthmore.edu
Fri Jan 13 15:14:30 EST 1995

Hi netters.  Can anyone be of help by telling me where/how I might be able
to find/calculate a "typical" concentration (mg/ml or something of the
like) of a housekeeping protein like tubulin in a "typical" mammalian
cell.  I need a ball park figure.  As far as I know, about 16-20% of a
cell's weight is protein (but what's the typical weight of a "typical"
mammalian cell?), volume is readily estimated from cell diameter, and a
highly expressed protein could be about 1% of the total protein in a cell
(so for, say tubulin, about 0.1-0.2% of the cell is protein by weight
(?)).  Any suggestions, info???? Please email.

Cheers,

erik