Ionic interactions on Sephadex G-10

Robert Jordan jordan at
Tue Jan 17 14:28:02 EST 1995

In article <3ffhms$m7s at>, J.Marcus at (John
Marcus) wrote:
> I want to desalt low molecular weigth peptides (1000-5000Da) using
> G-10 Sephadex.  My problem is that I don't want any buffer at all
> in the eluent.  The proteins I am desalting are quite basic so I fear
> that some might interact with the column packing if I were to totally
> do away with buffer.  Ideally, I would like to use straight deionized
> water to elute the proteins from the column.

You might want to consider reverse phase HPLC. Small peptides are eluted
with a gradient of acetonitrile in H20 in the presence of 0.03%
Triflouroacetic acid. These solvents are volitile and can be evaporated
off. The peptide can be resuspened in any solvent you want.

Rob J.