anomalous protein migration SDS-PAGE

Lenny Garfinkel lenny at
Thu Jan 26 09:54:25 EST 1995

This group appears to be dead, but I guess I can't lose by posting.  I
have a fermentation supernatant (does not matter what organism) which I
suspect contains proteases.  When I add a pure protein to the sup and
incubate for anywhere from 0.5 hr to overnight, I see an apparent
INCREASE in molecular weight on SDS-PAGE in the presence of
mercaptoethanol (yup, it runs slower).  What sort of protein
modifications could cause this?  Could clipping of a few residues result
in less SDS binding?

Dr. Leonard Garfinkel       | Internet:  lenny at
Bio-Technology General      | Office Phone: 972-8-381256
Kiryat Weizmann             | Home Phone:   972-8-451505
Rehovot, Israel             | FAX:          972-8-409041