Gentamycine resistance

Brad Nicholson brad at
Tue Jul 11 15:03:43 EST 1995

To: vachon at (Gilles VACHON)
From: brad at (Brad Nicholson)
Subject: Gentamycine resistance

You wrote:

> Hi all,
> I am trying to transform E. coli with a vector carrying a Gentamycine
> resistance gene.
Hello Gilles,
I have used Gentamycin at 10 ug/ml successfully.  In my hands, the cosmid
pAM2 (a derivative of pLAFR1 with the Gent cassette from pLB41 cloned in)
worked ok on LB, although it was a better Kan resistance marker than Gent.
I believe that the gene is an 3-N-Acetyl-transferase, AAC(3). Ref: Foster,
T. J.. 1983. Microbiological Reviews. Plasmid Determined Resistance to
Antimicrobial Drugs and Toxic Metal Ions in Bacteria. 47:361-409.
Which vector are you using and do you know which Gentamycin resistance
cassette is present?  If the copy # of your construct is very low then you
may have to drop the amount of Gent present.

Good Luck,

Brad Nicholson              |"If it worked the first time, it wouldn't be
Department of Pathology     |	research."...Brad Nicholson
University of Utah          |	Live from behind the Zion Curtian.
Salt Lake City, UT 84132    |
brad at    |
or: (801)-581-4365          | My opinions are solely my own.