Is the GD Rose paper out?

David Jones jones at bsm.bioc.ucl.ac.uk
Wed Jul 12 09:37:20 EST 1995

Arne Elofsson (arne at hodgkin.mbi.ucla.edu) wrote:

> On the other side the packing of secondary structure elements is not that
> impressive. Looks pretty good for the fragments in fig 3 (1fb) and for
> 2 out of three 50 aa fragments of b562. but pcy, mbo and eglin does not
> look that good (when you take into aspect that you have nearly perfect
> secondary structure prediction). MBO is not a very good test as apomyoglobin
> not is stable in water.

I think it would be accurate to say that there is _no_ secondary structure
packing beyond beta and alpha hairpins - and those interactions are given
on a plate. Clearly the current form of the method really makes no inroads
into tertiary structure prediction. However, the results in terms of
secondary structure prediction do appear good.

> It is interesting that such a simple method seems to work that well.

Yes, indeed.