Slow running SDSPAGE gels

at uni-muenster.de at uni-muenster.de
Thu Mar 2 04:56:03 EST 1995

In article <mbxfd-240295162008 at macfd.biochem.nottingham.ac.uk>,
mbxfd at unicorn.nott.ac.uk (Fergus Doherty) wrote:

> Every so often we are hit by very slow running SDSPAGE gels, I mean all day
> to run a 10% minigel!!!  Anyone any ideas of what the problem is?  I
> thought it might be a problem with stored gels at first but now even gels a
> few days old run slow, made with fresh buffers (UltraPure Tris).. Could it
> be the water?  I'm lost.
>
> Fergus Doherty,
> dept. Biochemistry,
> University Medical School,
> Queen's Medical Centre,
> Nottingham NG7 2UH
> Tel: 602 709366  FAX 602 422225 Internet: mbxfd at unicorn.nott.ac.uk

Hi,
perhaps it is a problem of the composition of your SDS running buffer system.
In our lab it takes one hour to run a minigel. I have tried several buffer
systems and my experience showed me that the running time depends on the
ions present in the system. Now i use the Laemmli-system that means 0.025
M Tris-HCl,
0.192 M glycine, 0.1 % SDS.

Bye.

Martin Suhr
ZMBE, Von-Esmarch-Straße 56, D-48149 Muenster
e-mail: suhr at wwupop.uni-muenster.de