Alternative to Starch Gel Electrophoresis?

Ronald.Berry Berry at biochem.unp.ac.za
Thu Mar 9 05:09:12 EST 1995

Hello Bionetters

We routinely do PAGE gels on proteins (usually Hoeffer Mighty Small gels),
using traditional Tris/Glycine, and also Tricene buffers.

I have had a request from a non-biochemist to do starch gels electrophoresis
on plant proteins, with the object of using zymograms to do genetic linkage
analysis.

Surely starch gels have been superceded by more modern polyacrylamide
protocols?

Has anyone a protocol for "transfering" a starch gel method to PAGE?

Thanks

Ron Berry
Biochemistry Dept
University of Natal