Human b-galactosidase properties

Pekka Rappu pekrappu at
Fri Mar 10 08:47:00 EST 1995

What are the optimal reaction conditions for human beta-galactosidase? I have
been wondering if the activity of the enzyme is considerably lower in
processed (i.e. homogenized & pasteurized) milk than in "native" milk. If this
is the case, could it be a reason for a fact that there is all the sudden so
many people having hypolactasia among the Finnish and other "lactose tolerant"
people. Please tell me if I am totally wrong with my ideas.

Hypolactasia patient & Post graduate student Pekka Rappu
University of Turku