serum protein delipidation question

Wayne R. Baker baker at iastate.edu
Wed Mar 15 21:38:38 EST 1995

In bionet.molbio.proteins,  D.M. Bunk <dmb618 at enh.nist.gov> wrote
:Does anyone have any "tried-and-true" methods (or
:references to methods) for defatting serum proteins?

I have one that works for us and our collaborators (who developed it). We
have a lipid-binding protein and we need to get rid of any heterogeneous
lipids that are bound during culture. After purification, the protein is
passed over a hydroxyalkoxypropyl dextran column. The resin is available
from Sigma. Take a look at Xu et al. (1993) J. Biol. Chem. vol. 268
p7874 and Beijer & Nystrom (1972) Anal. Biochem. vol 48 p1.

Drop me an e-mail if you want the procedure we use.

Wayne Baker (baker at iastate.edu)  	Few things are harder to put up with
4288 Molecular Biology Building  	than the annoyance of a good example.
Iowa State University            	-Mark Twain
Ames IA 50011
  (515) 294 0781