Wanted Lectin A of Lens culinary

XYZZYX at DELPHI.COM XYZZYX at news.delphi.com
Sat Mar 18 00:34:05 EST 1995

hi, it's george again.  Thought I'd follow up with a little more info.  I
had a Sigma catalog out today, so I checked their entry for Lens
culinaris lectin.  Unfortunately, the stuff they sell is a mixture of
A+B.  The lectin occurs naturally as a dimer of A+B, which probably
explains why that is all that most people seem to sell.  I tried to pull
down a sequence for each from the various databases but was unsuccessful;
only one sequence appears.  Both isolectins have the same approximate Mr
(49000) but (I think) differ in isoelectric points.  I'm not sure if they
are disulfide linked (run some on a gel +/- BME, that ought to show it).
Both isolectins have affinity for terminal
alpha-D-mannose and alpha-D-glucose so it probably won't work to run an
affinity column to separate them.  Ion exchange chromatography or
Hydrophobic interaction chromatography might work (and HIC is a nice
follow on step to Ammonium sulfate pptn., as well), though I would still
recommend an initial separation on a sugar column (e.g. mannose-agarose)
to get a reasonably pure material first.  There was one reference listed
in the sigma catalog: Howard, I.K., et al.,J. Biol. Chem., 246, 1590 (1971).

Good luck.