Specificity of endoproteinase Glu-C

Emile Schiltz eschiltz at sun2.ruf.uni-freiburg.de
Tue Mar 21 10:10:10 EST 1995

Marc DIEU (madi at biocell.fundp.ac.be) wrote:
: Is it possible to obtain a non-specific cleavage during proteolysis by
: endoproteinase Glu-C ? Is endoproteinase Glu-C totally specific for the
: carboxilic side of Glu and Asp residues or not ? In our experiments
: proteolysis by endoproteinase Glu-C gave some peptidic fragments where
: the cleavage had occured between Lys and Gly residues. This non
: specific cleavage occured at the same place in the sequence, in three
: different experiments. Is there any example in the litterature where
: this has already occured ?

Hello Marc,

we did many cleavages with earlier commercial preparations of the
"V8" protease and we obtained all kinds of non-specific products.

A number of peptides ended with small residues, still no clear
preferance was apparent. Unless the batches nowadays are better
this is not a very recommendable protease if you are looking for something
specific.

Best wishes
Mil
--