Desalting

Giovanni Maga maga at vetbio.unizh.ch
Wed Mar 22 05:16:35 EST 1995

In article <1AF864B762F at botany.uq.oz.au>, J.Marcus at botany.uq.oz.au
("MARCUS, DR J.") wrote:

> Dear netters,
>     I am using a Sephadex G-10 Column to desalt small basic
> proteins.  I would like to avoid tedious steps since  I have
> many fractions to desalt.  Ideally, we would like to use a
> volatile buffer system so that we are able to concentrate
> our samples after desalting.
>     Has anyone ever tried ethanolamine as a volatile buffer
> to use in conjuction with deslating on Sephadex G-10?  Would it be a
> problem for the vaccuum pumps?  Thanks in advance for any
> help.
>
> Sincerely,
> John Marcus
>

> John Marcus
> Cooperative Research Centre for Tropical Plant Pathology
> 5th Level John Hines Building
> University of Queensland
> Brisbane, QLD 4072
> Australia
> Marcus at tpp.uq.oz.au

If your bioassay is tolerant to common buffers, why do not use 2-10 mM
Ammonium Acetate at the right pH? Than, you can easily concentrate your
protein up to the right buffer concentration without drying it completely
out (thus solving also solubility troubles for re-dissolving) and use it as
it is in the assay. Just an idea.