native gel of large complexes

Jayanand Vasudevan jv4s at
Wed Mar 22 17:24:23 EST 1995

In article <3kitg3$8c4 at>, Danny Chamovitz  <chamo> wrote:
>I'm trying to do a native gel of a large protein complex (>550 kDa), but I'm
>having trouble getting it into the gel............

The lab I work in routinely runs native gels of alpha-2-macroglobulin,
a plasma protein of m.w 720 kDa. We run a 5% acrylamide gel using a buffer
system developed by Van Leuven. We have no problem with the protein entering
the gel. Are you sure it is a m.w issue?

Jayanand Vasudevan					(804) 982-1891
Dept. Pathology/Biochemistry, Box 214,
UVa Health Sciences Center Charlottesville VA 22908