peptide expression in E.coli

Greg Tucker-Kellogg kellogg at proton.chem.yale.edu
Fri Mar 24 17:11:15 EST 1995

Ben Davis (bjd12 at cus.cam.ac.uk) wrote:
: M.R.douglas at rheuma.bham.ac.uk wrote:
: : I am interested in producing peptides (10-30 a.a. in length) in
: : E.coli with a
: : view to labelling them isotopically for NMR experiments.  Does anyone out
: : there have any hints, tips or references as to the best way to go
: : about this?
: : And which is the best purification method for sorting out the good
: : from the bad?
: : Getting them synthesised in the old fashioned way would break the bank, I'm
: : afraid.

: Hi

: My guess is that you've got basically no chance of expressing anything that
: small; coli proteases will chew it up & spit it out

If the peptide you want has no methionines, take a look at Kuliopulos
and Walsh (1994) J.Am.Chem.Soc. 116:4599.

Disclaimer:  I'm in the Walsh lab.

Gregory Tucker-Kellogg           gtk at walsh.med.harvard.edu
Department of Biological Chemistry and Molecular Pharmacology
Harvard Medical School, Boston MA 02115
"It is because agents never know completely what they are doing that
 what they do has more sense than what they know."
	-- Pierre Bourdieu _Logic_of_Practice_