Macintosh drivers for UV-vis spectrophotometers

John Berges berges at BNLUX1.BNL.GOV
Tue Mar 28 12:41:24 EST 1995

> In Article <199503231746.JAA29092 at net.bio.net>, LOLL at BIOVAX.UCHICAGO.EDU
wrote:
> >Hello,
> >
> >        I'm setting up a lab, and would like
> >to have a UV-vis spectrophotometer driven by
> >a Macintosh or PowerPC and not by a 386/486/Pentium
> >machine (otherwise we're an exclusively Mac shop,
> >and I hate to have a non-Mac PC just sitting
> >around 22 hrs. a day.  Plus they offend me.).

>You may care to read

>Merz & Mort (1993) The construction and use of an inexpensive data
>collection system high resolution chromatography, Anal Biochem. 207:351.

>These authors describe the use of a "cheapo" micro to interface and
>control a device (an HPLC in their case, through a RS332 port if my memory
>doesn't fail me).  The data can be transferred to a Mac (or any PC) for
>analysis, plotting, long term storage, and so on.  Though you will need
>some Basic programming to have the cheapo controler do its job.

>Hope it helps !
----------------------
Didier Gauthier
Dept. de chimie et biochimie
Universite de Moncton    Fax: (506) 858-4355
Moncton, NB, Canada      E-mail: gauthid at umoncton.ca
---------------------

Just to add my two cents...

We published a short article interfacing a spectrophotometer with a microcomputer:

Berges, JA and C Virtanen. 1993. Expanding the capabilities of laboratory
	instruments using built-in microprocessors and serial interfaces:
	adapting an LKB Ultorpsec UV spectrophotometer for scanning
	and enzyme kinetic analyses. Comput. Biol. Med. 23: 131-141.

The point is, many manufactures provide all you need except the computer
and the code.  The command languages are fairly powerful, and the code
can be created in virtually any language.  We found we could save several
thousand dollars and adapt things to our own specs.

&