Macintosh drivers for UV-vis spectrophotometers

Didier Gauthier gauthid at umoncton.ca
Tue Mar 28 09:25:05 EST 1995

In article <sidereal.1146762165C at news.intac.com>, sidereal at intac.com (Jeff
R. Livingstone) wrote:

> In Article <199503231746.JAA29092 at net.bio.net>, LOLL at BIOVAX.UCHICAGO.EDU
wrote:
> >Hello,
> >
> >        I'm setting up a lab, and would like
> >to have a UV-vis spectrophotometer driven by
> >a Macintosh or PowerPC and not by a 386/486/Pentium
> >machine (otherwise we're an exclusively Mac shop,
> >and I hate to have a non-Mac PC just sitting
> >around 22 hrs. a day.  Plus they offend me.).

You may care to read

Merz & Mort (1993) The construction and use of an inexpensive data
collection system high resolution chromatography, Anal Biochem. 207:351.

These authors describe the use of a "cheapo" micro to interface and
control a device (an HPLC in their case, through a RS332 port if my memory
doesn't fail me).  The data can be transferred to a Mac (or any PC) for
analysis, plotting, long term storage, and so on.  Though you will need
some Basic programming to have the cheapo controler do its job.

Hope it helps !

--
Didier Gauthier
Moncton, NB, Canada      E-mail: gauthid at umoncton.ca