Macintosh drivers for UV-vis spectrophotometers

Jeff R. Livingstone sidereal at intac.com
Tue Mar 28 02:08:45 EST 1995

In Article <199503231746.JAA29092 at net.bio.net>, LOLL at BIOVAX.UCHICAGO.EDU wrote:
>Hello,
>
>        I'm setting up a lab, and would like
>to have a UV-vis spectrophotometer driven by
>a Macintosh or PowerPC and not by a 386/486/Pentium
>machine (otherwise we're an exclusively Mac shop,
>and I hate to have a non-Mac PC just sitting
>around 22 hrs. a day.  Plus they offend me.).
>The sorts of instruments I'm looking at are in
>the $7-12K range, and include the HP diode array,
>the Perkin Elmer Lambda series, the Beckman
>DU650/750's, etc.  Frankly, for the applications
>I envisage, there's not much to recommend one
>instrument over another (although an open sample
>compartment such as is found on the diode array
>machines would be nice).  If one of these can
>be driven by a Mac, that would tip the scales.
>None of the manufacturers offers Mac drivers
>as an option.  Does anyone out there have
>such software, or can you recommend a source
>for same?
>        I'm grateful for any assistance you
>can offer.
>
>          **** Please respond to: ****
>
>            loll at biovax.uchicago.edu
>
>        Thanks.
>
>Pat Loll
>Dept. of Pharmacology
>University of Pennsylvania Medical School

You will be hard pressed to find any seriously biophysical analytical
equipment that currently runs under Mac. The problem is in the timing of the
real-time signals and the relay of that information from the machine to/from
the Mac. It turns out to be much easier in the 386/486 world. There are
several biotech companies which are dedicated "Mac shops" which create the
need for in-house devlopment of Mac-oriented data acquisition software, such
as Amgen and Genentech. You might want to ask either Mike Mulkerrin or
Scooter Morris at Genentech (mgm @ gene.com & scooter @ gene.com) to see if
they know of any sources/people.

Note also that the proprietary nature of the Mac OS created limitations in
developing acquisition software such as you suggest, which would rely
heavily on internal OS structure and system calls.

Jeff R. Livingstone, Ph.D.                 Email:  sidereal @ intac.com
Senior Applications Scientist              Office: (800) 631-1369 ext. 493
Fisons Applied Sensor Technology           Alt:    (201) 986-1020 ext. 493
53 West Century Road                      Cell:    (201) 615-8630
Paramus, NJ 07652                          FAX:    (201) 265-7420

     WWW: http://www.intac.com/~sidereal/html.fisons (in preparation)