Macintosh drivers for UV-vis spectrophotometers

Hiroki Morizono hiroki at limerick.cbs.umn.edu
Tue Mar 28 19:15:06 EST 1995

Jeff R. Livingstone (sidereal at intac.com) wrote:
: In Article <199503231746.JAA29092 at net.bio.net>, LOLL at BIOVAX.UCHICAGO.EDU wrote:
: >Hello,
: >
: >        I'm setting up a lab, and would like
: >to have a UV-vis spectrophotometer driven by
: >a Macintosh or PowerPC and not by a 386/486/Pentium
: >machine (otherwise we're an exclusively Mac shop,
: >and I hate to have a non-Mac PC just sitting
: >around 22 hrs. a day.  Plus they offend me.).
: >The sorts of instruments I'm looking at are in
: >the $7-12K range, and include the HP diode array,
: >the Perkin Elmer Lambda series, the Beckman
: >DU650/750's, etc.  Frankly, for the applications
: >I envisage, there's not much to recommend one
: >instrument over another (although an open sample
: >compartment such as is found on the diode array
: >machines would be nice).  If one of these can
: >be driven by a Mac, that would tip the scales.
: >None of the manufacturers offers Mac drivers
: >as an option.  Does anyone out there have
: >such software, or can you recommend a source
: >for same?
: >        I'm grateful for any assistance you
: >can offer.
: >
: >          **** Please respond to: ****
: >
: >            loll at biovax.uchicago.edu
: >
: >        Thanks.
: >
: >Pat Loll
: >Dept. of Pharmacology
: >University of Pennsylvania Medical School

: You will be hard pressed to find any seriously biophysical analytical
: equipment that currently runs under Mac. The problem is in the timing of the
: real-time signals and the relay of that information from the machine to/from
: the Mac. It turns out to be much easier in the 386/486 world. There are
: several biotech companies which are dedicated "Mac shops" which create the
: need for in-house devlopment of Mac-oriented data acquisition software, such
: as Amgen and Genentech. You might want to ask either Mike Mulkerrin or
: Scooter Morris at Genentech (mgm @ gene.com & scooter @ gene.com) to see if
: they know of any sources/people.

: Note also that the proprietary nature of the Mac OS created limitations in
: developing acquisition software such as you suggest, which would rely
: heavily on internal OS structure and system calls.

: Jeff R. Livingstone, Ph.D.                 Email:  sidereal @ intac.com
: Senior Applications Scientist              Office: (800) 631-1369 ext. 493
: Fisons Applied Sensor Technology           Alt:    (201) 986-1020 ext. 493
: 53 West Century Road                      Cell:    (201) 615-8630
: Paramus, NJ 07652                          FAX:    (201) 265-7420

:      WWW: http://www.intac.com/~sidereal/html.fisons (in preparation)