Conformation of peptides in aqueous solution?

Thomas Schnibbe Schnibbe at MPIMG-Berlin-Dahlem.MPG.DE
Wed May 3 14:39:36 EST 1995

Dear Netters,

      I have a question concerning peptide conformation in aqueous solution.

It has been shown that secondary structure formation in aqueous
solution should be negligible for all short peptides (shorter than 13 - 15 aa
or so).
Increased chain length moves along with secondary structure formation: Medium
size peptides may present a population with secondary structure in a rapid
equilibrium with random, mainly extended, conformations.
Large peptides/proteins beyond a certain chain length show stable
(super-) secondary and tertiary structures (quite stable and somehow
dynamic, too).

My question is:

WERE (AT WHICH SIZE) IS THE APPROXIMATE TRANSITION "DYNAMIC - STABLE"?
                 (aqueous solution no detergents etc., room-temperature)

(Of course, secondary/tertiary structure formation strongly depends on
physico-chemical properties of the bulk solution, the primary structure,
temperature etc., too)

Since I'm working on synthetic peptides you would help me a lot.

Thank you for your time,

Thomas