NO. Re: A Plea To John K! (was Re: Comment to S.Blocklehurst)

Kevin Gardner gardner at zinc.csb.yale.edu
Fri May 5 00:04:15 EST 1995

David Jones (jones at bsm.bioc.ucl.ac.uk) wrote:
: like spilling the cat out of the bean bag, if George Rose has
: presented work at a public meeting then it would be perfectly
: reasonable for someone attending the meeting to discuss what
: was presented. Let's not forget that the dissemination of ideas is
: the whole point of giving a talk. Now of course if this was all
: discussed privately or if the talk was say a departmental seminar -
: then of course you can and must say nothing.

Hmmm.  Just out of curiousity:

Where is the dividing line between a between a "public" vs. a "private"
forum?  I can see the obvious differences between say, a 1500 person
meeting and a 1-on-1 conversation, but departmental seminars strike me
as being an especially grey area.  My department advertises it's
seminars to the whole Yale biological/ chemical community and
occasionally you can get a talk w/200+ people present.

I'm sure there are guidelines toward these things w.r.t. patents
and whatnot --- can anyone offer an informed opinion?

Publically yours,
Kevin

Kevin Gardner
Yale University            Dept. of Molecular Biophysics and Biochemistry
Internet: gardner at zinc.csb.yale.edu               Bitnet: gardner at yalemed
                     http://zinc.csb.yale.edu/~gardner