Comment to S.Blocklehurst (Re: Well, ...)

Arne Elofsson arne at
Sun May 7 17:48:27 EST 1995

In article <3oj7sq$l6u at> drmax at (Marianna Max) writes:

> From: drmax at (Marianna Max)
> Well this is probably a very naive question but chock it up to my not being a
> protein chemist. How does one deal with "the protein folding question" and
> crystal structure of a protein when in the real world the biologically active
> configuration(s) of a protein has some sort of help or history dependence in
> reaching that state.

This is ofcourse a problem, but at the moment I would be perfectly happy to
only predict proteins that seems to have one well-defined native state,
as seen by NMR or crystallography. (unfortunately I can not do this yet (?))

But ofcourse trying to predict something that is not stable in
water is kinda stupid ( I think) even if I have seen it done.
Or trying to predict myoglobin without the heme will (and should)
ofcourse fail.

               From: Arne Elofsson
         Email: arne at