GRADUATE STUDIES - DRUG RESISTANCE

elias at parasit.lan.mcgill.ca elias at parasit.lan.mcgill.ca
Wed May 10 11:14:00 EST 1995

                                        GRADUATE STUDIES - DRUG RESISTANCE

	Two positions are available immediately for highly motivated individuals with Bsc or MS.c.
degrees to work on one of several research areas currently in progress in my  laboratory. S/he can
work on the characterization of a novel membrane protein which we have recently identified to be
overexpressed in multidrug resistant breast cancer cells. Other projects related to the multidrug
resistance phenotype in cancer cells  involve molecular studies of P-glycoprotein structure-function
and the development of drugs which can reverse the drug resistance of cancer cells.
	The second area of research relates to the multidrug resistance in malaria. Work in our
laboratory has led to the development of drug resistant clones of Plasmodium falciparum. Preliminary
characterization of these drug resistant clones indicates the presence of a novel ATP-dependent
drug efflux pump similar to that identified in cancer cells. Present efforts are concentrating on the
cloning of the gene responsible for this multidrug resistance phenotype.
 	The third area of research involves the development of proteolytic abzymes or catalytic
monoclonal antibodies which can cleave amide bonds in proteins at specific sites. Research in the
above projects employ several molecular techniques (hybridoma technology, membrane biochemistry,
malaria tissue culture, molecular biology and PCR, peptide synthesis, and some organic chemistry) in
a well equipped laboratory.

Interested individuals should get in touch with Dr. E. Georges (no later than May 30, 1995) at the
Institute of Parasitology, McGill University. Tel. 398-8137.
Email address. ELIAS at PARASIT.lan.McGill.ca