Membrane preparations

Warren Wakarchuk Wakarchu at
Thu May 11 22:10:45 EST 1995

In article <D8FqoA.A8s at> parents at ERE.UMontreal.CA (Parent Stephane) writes:
>From: parents at ERE.UMontreal.CA (Parent Stephane)
>Subject: Membrane preparations
>Date: Thu, 11 May 1995 22:33:44 GMT

>Preparation of crude membrane fraction is used routinely in many
>laboratories studying membrane proteins. The centrifugal force used to
>sediment this crude particulate fraction which include the plasma
>membranes vary from an investigator to the next. A rapid survey indicates
>that it varies from 10,000g to 60,000g with 45,000g being used very
>often. Is there any rationale for these differences? Could anybody
>recommand a refference which would be useful to determine the appropriate
>centrifugal force to use ?

>Michel Bouvier ;Bouvier at

 Many investigators consider a protein to be soluble if it stays in solution
after 100,000 X g for 1h.  We always make membranes by taking the pellet
from a 100,000 X g spin (We use R avg = 100,000 ).

Warren Wakarchuk              Email:  wakarchu at
Immunochemistry                       warren at
Ottawa, Ont.  CANADA
**Any opinions stated here are my own, not NRC's**