Removal of SDS from protein for structural studies (corrected)

Fri May 19 15:58:02 EST 1995

I am sorry for some obvious mistakes in my earlier reply to this topic:
What follows is a correctted version:
> On 18 May 1995, Dr. Jeff Lightfoot wrote:
>
> > What methods are recommended for removing 1% SDS from protein?   Is
> > dialyzing sufficient?  The protein is to be used for crystallography and/or
> > nmr.  Pierce sells a gel that is supposed to remove detergents, but they
> > keep bumping the availability date back.  Thanks for your help.
> >
> > Jeff.

 Removal of SDS from protein can be accomplished in a number of different
 ways:
 	1. Electrodialysis using a dialysis bag. Of course the surrounding
 buffer has to be free of SDS
 	2. Equilibrium dialysis, which you have mentioned.
 	3. Electroelution into SDS-free buffer using Triton X100, where
 TritonX100 is removed by dialysis later. (Holloway,('73) Anal. Biochem.,
 53:304)
 	4. Ion retardation columns (Kapp & Vinogradov (78), Anal.
 Biochem. 91: 230.)
 	5. Anion Exchange, Weber & Cutter JBC 246:4504.

 Hope this helps,
 HSR

			  hroychow at nmsu.edu