Protein adsorption

Roy Kimura rkimura at casbah.acns.nwu.edu
Wed May 31 00:09:28 EST 1995

In article <pharmscience.11.2FCA6EFA at gandalf.otago.ac.nz>,
pharmscience at gandalf.otago.ac.nz wrote:

> In our lab we have had a continiung problem with peptides adsorbing to glass-
> ware.  Suggestions to overcome have included washing the containers with a
> surfactant, adding a competing protein (eg 2% BSA), or working at
> (higher) concentrations where losses that do occur are negligible.
>
> None of these suggestions however are satisfactory for the system we are
> using.
>
> Could anyone help us with other suggestions?
>
> Reply to leo.schep at stonebow.otago.ac.nz

   One suggestion I have come across in the literature is to siliconize
all glassware (something like Sigmacote from Sigma Chemicals; St. Louis
USA).  This seemed to work for my protein, although I never checked the
loss of protein compared to non-siliconized glassware.

   Roy Kimura
   Dept. of Chemical Engineering
   Northwestern University