Programs for schematic drawings of proteins?

Rob Miller rmiller at
Wed May 31 16:20:51 EST 1995

Geier Gerhard (b049 at wrote:
: In article <3goein$e5i at>, szia at says...
: >
: >I am looking for programs that can draw schematic drawings of protein
: >structures. I am interested in the following two types of drawings:
: >
: >        (1) schematic representation of the [main chain] hydrogen bonding
: >pattern (based on known 3D structure)
: >
: >        (2) schematic representation of the domain structure and
: >disulfide bonding pattern, using a chain of several circles, each circle
: >representing a residue, and the type of the residue written in the
: >circle. This chain of circles is folded in 2D to approximately represent
: >the domain structure and the disulfide bonding pattern.
: >
: >Such drawings often appear in journals but I don't know any program that
: >can easily draw such things. (As to the hydrogen bonding pattern, I heard
: >of a program called HERA but I have no idea how to get it.)
: >
: >Anyone can help?
: >
: >Andras Szilagyi (szia at
: >Institute of Enzymology, Hungarian Academy of Sciences
: >

: If you have found a program who is able to draw that, pleas sent me seh name
: of the program and the name of the server
: Thanks in forward
: Gerhard Geier

I think Gail Hutchinson's PROMOTIF is what you are interested in.  It is
available by anonymous ftp on, but you will need to sign
a confidentiality agreement.  See pages on it and our other bioinformatics
software at

Rob Miller, Ph.D.

Biomolecular Structure and Modelling Unit (BSM),
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology,
University College / Gower Street / London WC1E 6BT.
United Kingdom.

Tel: 44 171380 7777 x3896
Fax: 44 171380 7193

Internet: rmiller at