Protein adsorption

kertesz at kertesz at
Wed May 31 18:16:51 EST 1995

In article <pharmscience.11.2FCA6EFA at> pharmscience at writes:

>In our lab we have had a continiung problem with peptides adsorbing to glass-
>ware.  Suggestions to overcome have included washing the containers with a
>surfactant, adding a competing protein (eg 2% BSA), or working at
>(higher) concentrations where losses that do occur are negligible.

We had a similar problem with a particularly hydrophobic protein which stuck
not to glassware but to plasticware (including ultrafiltration units and
PD-10 gel filtration columns, which made it a curse to purify). We solved the
problem by pretreating everything overnight with 5% Tween-20, then washing
thoroughly with water. That's probably not applicable to glassware, but in
view of one other reply to this posting ("use plastic glassware?") maybe not

Good luck with a sticky problem

Michael Kertesz
Zurich, Switzerland