Aminopeptidase M - Are GAGs a problem

B Lauder R.Lauder at lancaster.ac.uk
Wed Nov 8 12:29:56 EST 1995

I'm wanting to isolate some GAGs by digestion of the protein to which
they are attached (perhaps by papain) and then use a further enzyme to
cleave the final few amino acids which remain attached to the GAG (I
want the linkage region intact, with the amino acid to which the GAG is
linked present). I guessed that aminopeptidase would be the thing to go
for. However, I have no experience of this procedure and wonder if the
enzyme will stop cleaving the N-terminal amino acid when it reaches
the GAG chain ? If it does will a carboxypeptidase do the job okay
from the other end?

I'd be grateful for any comments on enzyme choice or on the
potential problems.

Thanks
Bob Lauder
Biological Sciences,