AGARASE?????

Cornelius Krasel krasel at wpxx02.toxi.uni-wuerzburg.de
Sat Nov 11 14:48:12 EST 1995

Phil Terman (gambler at cts.com) wrote:
> I know this is the proteins group but how does agarase differ from
> using a spin tube to elute dna from a gel.
> And how does it work?  Is it cheap?  More effective?

Agarase digests the lmp agarose to pieces so that you get a DNA
solution "contaminated" with carbohydrate monomers. You can
precipitate the DNA from this solution with EtOH, but this will
also denature the agarase, so maybe you should do a phenol
extraction first. In my hands it worked quite well (I used
Gelase from Epicentre) but the resultant DNA was reported to
being not very suitable for PCR amplification some time ago
in bionet.molbio.methds-reagnts. I don't know if this is still
true.

Spin columns usually contain some kind of resin, sometimes masked
as membrane :-) and do generally not involve proteins.

--Cornelius.