Help with CD data analysis.

LAGER Trumpington
Mon Sep 11 15:24:47 EST 1995

In article <43159f$rod at news.ox.ac.uk>, njh at mail.nerc-oxford.ac.uk wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have just made my first tentative steps into the world of circular
dichroism and I am now
> looking for any information on interpreting those squiggly lines!! Does
anyone know of any
> article or review or basic introduction to the interpretation of CD
data? What are the
> significant wavelengths for both proteins and RNA? I am investigating an
RNA-binding protein
> and looking for changes on binding in both the protein and the RNA.
>
> Any help appreciated. Thanks.
>

> Nigel
>
> njh at mail.nerc-oxford.ac.uk

   Pages 190 -191 of Creighton, second ed. give a simple outline of CD.
The following references give descriptions of three different means by
which the secondary structure of proteins can be estimated from a CD
spectra (i.e.  FAR UV CD spectra which are, in practice, from around 178
to 260nm; NEAR UV CD spectra however, are from around 260 to +350nm, and
are sensitive to chromophores and disulpide bonds in chiral environments
in the tertiary structure of proteins: averaging in the random coil state
of a protein, will result in no Near UV CD signal, hence these spectra are
sensitive to the tertiary structure of proteins)

     Provencher et al; (1981) Biochemistry  V.20 P.33-38
     Johnson et al;    (1987) Anal.Biochem.  V.167 P.76-85
     Fasman et al;     (1992)PROTEINS: Struct. Funct. Gen.  V.13  p.57-69

However, as a word of warning about over-interpreting CD spectra, I'd
strongly advise reading :
     Vuilleumier et al; (1993) Biochemistry V.32 P.10303 -10313;
Finally, there should be lots of people in the group of Chris Dobson, in
Oxford who could tell you about CD.
Hope this helps

Laurence Tisi   lct11 at uk.ac.cam.bio.mole