michael kertesz kertesz at
Tue Sep 12 10:46:51 EST 1995

We had a similar problem with Centripreps, losing >50% of our enzyme activity
every time we concentrated (a bit of a nuisance during a multistep purification!).
The problem was solved with a trick we learnt from the producers - when we pretreated the
Centripreps overnight with a 5% Tween solution, then washed them thoroughly before use, we
retained all our enzyme activity (a sulfatase, in this case). We decided that our activity
loss was probably due to binding of our quite hydrophobic enzyme to the plastic of the
Centriprep unit. How hydrophobic is your enzyme?

Might be worth a try, in any case.

good luck,

Michael Kertesz

e-mail kertesz at