Help finding a suitable scanner

Wolfgang Schechinger u7k0201 at sunmail.lrz-muenchen.de
Mon Sep 18 10:01:33 EST 1995

Hi, Graham!

I suggest you to try the following:

You will need a scanner (desktop preferred) that is able to scan transparencies or slides. A
CCD camera connected to a computer will probably work even better.
Put the stained gel on the scanner, place an appropriate ligh source above (or underneath, if
you use the CCD camera) and scan/take the image. Maybe you will have to use a colored
transparency for retaining the excitation light.
Hop that will work.

Wolfgang

PS: Tell me, if it works!

gdavies at lshtm.ac.uk (Graham Davies) wrote:

>Hello.
>I am posting this for a friend who has the following problem.
>
>: 	Texas red is a fluorescent dye whose excitation wavelength is 589 nm.
>: This is bound to albumin and then put into serum.  The resulting cocktail is
>: then eletrophoresed to separate the plasma proteins from the indigenous
>: albumin as well as the texas red labeled albumin.  By using fluorescence I
>: would like to measure the quantity of labeled albumin present.
>:	Is there a scanner that can read the whole gel and present the data to
>: a PC on which I am running NIH Image or Image Grabber.
>:	If I can use a fluorescent scanner this will rapidly help to determine
>: the quantity of texas red present.  One consideration to think about is that
>: albumin by itself will fluoresce but this is less than 589nm - the upper
>: fluorescent reach of the serum proteins is about 450 nm.
>:
>: Thank you for helping
>:
>: Ian