diphtheria toxoid/toxin ?

Vernon Coyne vernon at molbiol.uct.ac.za
Thu Sep 28 00:39:25 EST 1995

J.Marcus at botany.uq.edu.au ("Marcus, Dr J.") wrote:

>Hi netters,
>     Could someone please tell me the difference between
>diphtheria toxin and diphtheria toxoid?  I am interested in
>conjugating a peptide to the toxoid in order to get a
>stronger immune response when I go to make antibodies.
>Also, I would much appreciate the name of a supplier for
>the toxoid.  Thank you in advance for your help.

John,

Diphtheria toxoid is inactivated toxin (either by heat or
formaldehyde).  The toxoid has no biological activity, but retains its
antigenicity so that it may be used to stimulate the immune system to
produce antibodies which will recognise wild-type toxin.

Hope this helps,
Vernon

  Dr. Vernon E. Coyne,
  Microbiology Department,            Tel: (27-21) 650-3259/70
  University of Cape Town,            Fax: (27-21) 650-4023
  Private Bag,                        E-mail: vernon at molbiol.uct.ac.za
  Rondebosch, 7700
  South Africa