BSE - prion heat resistance

Oz Oz at
Mon Apr 1 12:03:51 EST 1996

In article <4jnddd$jpn at>, Louis Hom
<lhom at> writes
>In article <316013A3.2F52 at>,
>Grant Boston  < at> wrote:
>>the prion protein has been shown to be stable under 340 C dry heat for 1
>>hour, 140 C autoclave for 1 hour, and 130 C dry heat for 12 hours!!! An
>>amazingly strong protein especially as it's mode of action seems to
>>depend on the tertiary structure.
>It seems odd to me that they would focus so much on stability in dry

Perhaps because of heating during the pelleting process (for M&B meal).
Perhaps to see what incineration conditions are appropriate.

It certainly makes a DNA/RNA basis for the disease problematical, I
would have thought.

'Oz     "When I knew little, all was certain. The more I learnt,
        the less sure I was. Is this the uncertainty principle?"